Friday 29 January 2016

EXHAUSTING SPACE


“EXHAUSTING SPACE” By Iván Pérez
 
First thing I mentioned and remembered of the choreography Exhausting Space: floating, the dancers were floating over the stage. I still have to realize that they were not and it just looked like they were. So impressive and inspiring. Now I really want to know how they manage to float. I want to do it myself!
When walked in I noticed the placement of the public chairs. It was placed in a square, what means you were able to view the performance from a whole other perspective. I was happy that the piece gave me the change to! I took it and sit down right in front of the actual public (of the classic tribune), what gave me a special feeling. I felt like I was part of the performance now.
The (exhausted) space was influenced by black painted eggs, which formed lines which showed the barrier between the viewer and performer. Although this created the limit of the stage, you could not see this in the dancers movement. The quality of the movement was so soft that sometimes I thought when they would hit one of the eggs, or actually danced on them, they still would not break!
Once an egg felt down after throwing it a few times. I was confused. Does this belong to the piece? And then, why did they not gave this situation more time like the rest of the piece? Later on I discovered it fell down earlier than planned . Now I understood it and could get a message out of it: ‘’Although it looks like we fly, there is still gravity, we are still human.’’

I was really impressed by one of the three dancers Nina Botkay. She expressed her movement really close to her. But also you could notice she was aware of the dancers around her. Nothing seemed impossible for her to reach.
I was happy that I was able to talk with Iván Pérez after the dance. He told me: ‘I just really wanted to make a dance with good friends of mine.’ This I could see in the movement I saw one unity moving, it felt trusted and like the dancers where used to each other’s presence. And that is how I walked out of the theater, like I saw something where I was part of, part of the unity, like I also floated.
Written by Femke Verbeten
 
VIDEO
 
choreografie, concept, decor Iván Pérez | dans Nina Botkay/Inés Belda Nácher, Christopher Tandy, Iván Pérez | muziek Rutger Zuydervelt | licht Peter Lemmens | kostuums Carlijn Petermeijer | assistent choreografie Inbal Abir | stagiair Cristian Arenas | première 12 februari 2015, CaDance Festival, Korzo theater, Den Haag
When I saw the dance: 3th of October 18:00-19:00, during ‘De Nederlandse Dans Dagen’
Where: The Bordenhal, Maastricht
                                           Tour dates of the piece: www.ivanperezaviles.com/tour-dates
                                    Information about Ivan Perez: www.ivanperezaviles.com

No comments:

Post a Comment