Friday 29 January 2016

An evening with... Shechter - Nederlands Dans Theater

ENTERTAINING AND INSPIRING 

Choreographer: Hofesh Shechter
Choreography: Uprising
Date: April 11th 2014
City: Rotterdam
Theatre: Rotterdamse Schouwburg


By Ivar Draaisma



For the first time that I saw a choreography of Hofesh Shechter. and i liked it. his style and the whole design got me. the costumes, music, movement style. i really could identify myself with the whole piece.

Since this performance Shechter became a source of inspiration for me. I have been searching a lot of movement material of Shechter and hope to see more of his works in the future. 

His way of moving suits my way of moving, well,that is what i think. He uses a lot of organic movements. He shows that dance does not necessary need to express emotion. I as a dancer also think that you do not have to express emotion in dance. For Shechter, dance is nothing else but dance. And that appeals a lot to me.

In my solo, which I created in december 2014, I used Shechters pieces as a source of inspiration. Sometimes that was difficult because I only had some video's and it was too quick to keep up. But it was already special that there were video of this performance on the internet. So I sometimes went into the studio and practised with Shechter's movement material. It felt great and I am happy that I used it in my solo.

No comments:

Post a Comment